Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Confessions of a Bibliophile


Today we went to a homeschool used book sale. This is like a alcoholic going to a bar. Worse yet, I had an envelope of money put aside for the purpose. I was hoping to find three specific books, but came home with a wagonload (literally) of books that I had been hoping to find and a few nice surprises. Good thing I restrained myself! Seriously though, I spent very little and got some really great books. The great thing about homeschool book sales is that homeschoolers have such great taste in literature! It's much better than the big box stores and a much better price. At the last book sale I got rid of everything I wanted to sell and so was free just to browse this time, nice!

Lauren has already started A Chance to Die by Elizabeth Elliott (about Amy Carmichael). Thomas is looking forward to a curriculum we found called Applying the Bill of Rights to Real Cases. Pierce is enjoying Art Fraud Detectives, and the little ones are anxiously awaiting being read to. As for me, I'm looking forward to reading TULIP, The Five Points of Calvinism in the Light of Scripture or The Ballad of the White Horse by GK Chesterton; I'm not sure which I'll read first. Although we don't use much in the way of formal curriculum, we are all looking forward to jumping into a geography curriculum we found called Map the World by Heart.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.  ~Charles W. Eliot


I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.  ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991

1 comment: