Monday, August 30, 2010

A Clean Pool, A Clothes Line, And a Poultry Pen


We've been busy in our new home. We started school last week and it is going well. The biggest challenge is with discipline of the younger boys to be quiet when the older ones are studying. We have realized that we've been really lax in disciplining and need to do better.

This year we're studying ancient/Bible history and earth science/astronomy/physical science (except Lauren who is doing chemistry). We're also learning about raising goats and poultry, wood working, and electric fences in working on the farm.

I finally got the pool clean. Yahoo! I didn't think it would ever be clean! There is a great website called troublefreepool.com that was really helpful. We celebrated with a barbecue/pool party on Saturday night. It was really fun and a great relief to just play after all of the work moving, traveling, etc.





Thom and the boys built a clothesline for me so that I can get back to cloth diapers again (they just don't get white without the sun). It was their first woodworking project and I have to say that I think it is the most beautiful clothesline I've ever seen!




Their next project was a poultry pen. Our guineas were getting too crowded in their tank, but we couldn't set them free yet because of predators, so they built a movable pen that protects them, yet allows them to eat seeds and bugs and fertilize the land. The front comes off so that the kids can get in the pen to hold and feed them. It's worked great! (I'm sorry you can't see the guineas in the photo.)

It's hard to believe we only moved in two weeks ago. We've been so busy with minor repairs that we've felt like we'd never get to the fun stuff. Besides the pool, the mailbox was missing a flag. Do you know that we couldn't find a flag anywhere? So we had to install a new mailbox. Then the heat got up to 106 degrees and shorted out one of the AC units. Two of the thermostats quit working also. Fortunately we have a home warranty to cover the AC. On top of that one of the toilet handles broke. Thomas did a good job fixing that one. (I love having young men!) Did I mention that I learned how to repair a garage door?

Finally we were able to get started and it's just motivated us to do more. We just can't wait to start making this place productive! The next project is installing an electric fence for the goats and adopting a Great Pyranees to guard them. I can't believe I'm saying this. I have never ever wanted a dog, but when I was warned about the coyotes around here, then met a GP and saw what good dogs they are, I started looking into it and was convinced. Thom and the kids are really excited. They have wanted a dog for a while.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment